Friday, January 29, 2010

wind waker (perth, wa, au)/boring reminicenses of warmer weather and cooler places





I can't stop thinking about going back to Australia, Melbourne in particular, and staying in the city, possibly in Fitzroy (neighborhood equivalent to Olde Town East or Washington Beach, for us--though I'm pretty sure Washington Beach isn't widely recognized--and yes, I realize I've just digressed), being the hipster-seeking, art-indulgent, indie-culture hoarder that I am. Did you know there is a street that runs straight through Melbourne-proper (the 'city center,' if you will) named Batman Avenue? Now you do. (Actually, once it truly hits Melb, it turns into Exhibition Street--far less appealing.)

Here's an easy as fuck tip on remembering some of the the most important streets in Melbourne (proper)--from the Yarra River harbor (Docklands) heading inland (southwest to northeast)--King St, William St, Queen St, Elizabeth St. Get it? King William, Queen Elizabeth. Essential in finding my way after getting lost, which I did, and often. Also important is to stay within the square (rectangle), or you're venturing into tourist-befuddling territory (i.e. the coolest parts of Melbourne tucked away between warehouses, Clintonville-esque neighborhoods and various other inconspicuous architecture). These limits of the Melbourne city rectangle are Spencer St (southwest) and Spring St (northeast), Flinders St (southeast) and LaTrobe St (northwest).

Also, saw The Reptiles and Joe Lally play while I was there, a number of local bands, performances and artshows and hung around at The Gulag (think BLD or Skylab prior to 2007) including the linked show/opening/performance, among other things. I miss it all. I conveniently forgot Conrad and my copy of Smell My Skin (and my insanely beloved MTG Elf Deck). Which reminds me--just as conveniently (not convenient in either case, AT ALL), I forgot a couple CDs I need at Greg's house. Damnit. And I was really hoping on not stopping back there. Cut my losses?

Anyway, I'm avoiding astronomy homework involving Chapters 49-58, parallax, parsecs, luminosity vs. brightness and temperature, Wien's Law, the Stefan-Boltzmann Constant, and blowing my brains out. Await update on my life or death status.

No comments: